This is the bit where I promote myself. Don’t huff. I’m allowed.
In over a decade of writing about videogames and pop culture I’ve been lucky enough to work for some great publications. All the content below was produced while I was working in more full-time roles including: Official UK PlayStation Magazine Staff Writer, Orange.co.uk/Games Channel Editor and Inside Xbox Assistant Producer/Web Editor EMEA. For more information on my employment history and recommendations please visit my LinkedIn profile.
- Edited Made2Game between April and June 2013. Responsibilities included writing content myself and managing a team of contributors to ensure a regular flow of editorial schedule, from news and previews to reviews and features.
I’ve been writing previews, reviews and features for 360 Gamer since October 2012. Here’s a collection of my favourite commissions and a link to all other pieces produced to date.
- The Trouble With The Threequel – A feature examining the challenges of producing a third title in a successful game franchise.
- Bricks And Mortality – The Great British high street took a bit of a battering in 2012. This piece looks at the effects on games retail.
- BioShock Infinite Preview – My first cover. A feature preview of one of 2012’s most critically acclaimed titles.
- Tomb Raider Preview – The editor took a particular shine to this piece on Crystal Dynamics’ Lara Croft reboot.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II Preview – 360 Gamer’s senior editorial team entrusted me to write a Black Ops II preview for my very first piece.
- Click to view all my 360 Gamer previews, reviews and features.
- Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse Preview – Stewie and Brian’s first videogame outing previewed for Now Gamer.
- Little White Lies’ Trailer Talk features analyse new movie trailers. I’ve produced three articles: Lincoln, The Rum Diary and Contagion.
- A single piece for TotalFilm.com on comic-book inspirations for Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman.
- Friendly Fires Live Review – Pala album launch at XOYO.
- UNKLE Live Review – 2011 Brixton Academy show.
- E3 2010 Media Coverage – Assisted the CVG team to deliver timely news and features from 2010’s E3 expo.
- Reading Festival 2009 Coverage and other music reviews – Live reviewed Reading Festival 2009 and wrote a piece on Passion Pit at The Vibe Bar in the same year.
- Music news and more music news – Interned as The Quietus’s News Editor after graduating producing several news stories, often with unique hooks and quotes, on a daily basis.
- Music news, reviews, features and interviews – I began writing music reviews for Drowned in Sound during my journalism degree. This developed into producing all manner of content when I began an internship as The Quietus’ News Editor, Drowned in Sound’s then sister site.
Keen to follow me on one or more the many digital social platforms available to the 21st century stalker? Links below. No one will judge.
- Search ‘Deanways’ on PSN, Xbox LIVE, EA Origin and other networks.
If you would like to contact me about producing content for your website or magazine, please complete the contact form below detailing the commission. Thank you.